Thursday 28 February 2013

Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

I found this book through the movie of the same name. Eye of the Needle is a spy thriller written by Ken Follet, first published in 1978.

Genres

  • Spy thriller
  • Mystery
  • War
  • Suspense


Plot

The story is about a German spy, Faber, code name Die Nedal or The Needle. He finds out information that can help the Germans win the war, and has to deliver some photographs as a proof.

Meanwhile, a history professor, Godliman, and ex-policemen Bloggs, are employed to catch Faber. When they realise what Faber has got, they go on a chase for Faber, who escapes but leaves a trail of murder behind for them to follow.

The other two main characters in the story are David, a trainee pilot, and his wife Lucy. After a car accident, David becomes crippled in a car accident and both of them live on an isolated Storm island. During a storm, they get a visitor who is shipwrecked, and they don't realise that they are the only giving room to the great spy, The Needle.

My thoughts

Eye of the Needle is one of the interesting spy stories I have read. I generally don't take a lot of interest in war stories, but this one got me interested from the first chapter I read.

It was interesting to see the way Faber avoids and escapes the authorities, as well as to Godliman and Bloggs who try to catch him. The ending of the story was also awesome.

The pace of the story was also good. It was not too fast or too slow. There was a lot of action as well which was described in great detail.

I am also planning to watch the movie.

My rating: 5 out 5 stars

Recommended to:

I would recommend it to anyone like, war stories, spy thrillers and thrillers in general.

Have you also read Eye of the Needle? Do you agree with my thoughts? If not, what are your thoughts? How would you rate the novel? Let me know through the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment